When it comes to van conversions, one challenge that seems to always persist is the upholstery of the factory foam in the Sprinter van. Upholstering not only enhances the aesthetics but also improves the comfort and functionality of the van interior. Whether you are transforming your Sprinter into a camper van or simply upgrading its interior, selecting the right van upholstery fabric and implementing proper techniques on the factory foam blobs is essential to creating a complete build. In this blog, we will explore various options and guide you through the best way to upholster the factory foam in your Sprinter van.
What is the best van upholstery fabric?
If you prefer a softer and more comfortable feel, upholstery fabric is an excellent option. Fabrics such as Duramax Grey Mix Fabric offer both durability and a cozy touch. They are designed to withstand the rigors of van life while providing a visually appealing interior.
The first step in upholstering your Sprinter's factory foam is to choose the appropriate van upholstery fabric. It is important to opt for a material that is durable, easy to clean, and complements your desired aesthetic. Vinyl and fabric are two popular choices for van upholstery.
Vinyl is a versatile material that offers durability and ease of maintenance. It is resistant to stains and water, making it a practical choice for van walls. Additionally, vinyl comes in a wide range of colors and patterns, allowing you to customize your interior according to your style preferences.
For more information on fabric in vans read our blog here.
Best Way to Upholster the Factory Foam in the Sprinter
Here are the steps to ensure a successful transformation:
- Remove Existing Upholstery: Start by carefully removing any existing upholstery or fabric from the factory foam. This will provide a clean canvas for the new upholstery.
- Prepare the Foam: Inspect the factory foam for any damages or deformities. Make necessary repairs or replacements before proceeding with the upholstering process.
- Measure and Cut Fabric: Take precise measurements of the foam panels and cut the upholstery fabric accordingly. Leave a few inches of extra fabric on all sides to ensure a snug fit.
- Attach the Fabric: Use a staple gun or adhesive spray to attach the fabric to the foam. Start by securing one side and work your way around, pulling the fabric taut as you go. Trim off any excess fabric for a neat finish.
- Or purchase a kit from GoCode Overland and skip steps 1-4 for a minute install. These interior B pillar kits cover this space perfectly in Sprinters and Transit.
Van Wall Upholstery Templates and Paneling Kits
To further enhance the interior of your Sprinter, consider utilizing van wall upholstery and paneling kits. Sprinter van interior panel templates can be helpful to your build. These kits offer pre-cut panels that can be easily installed onto the van walls. They not only provide a polished look but also help with insulation and soundproofing.
Camper Van Interior Trim and Wall Covering Ideas
When it comes to wall coverings, you can get creative with different materials and textures. Consider options like upholstered wall panels, textured wallpapers, or even reclaimed wood for a rustic charm. The choice of wall covering can significantly impact the overall ambiance of your camper van.
For more information on Campervan wall panels read our blog here
Campervans for Sale
GoCode Overland sells full custom sprinter van builds in Greenwood, IN. We offer vans built just for you with bathrooms, wall paneling, cabinetry, solar panels, Air Conditioning, and any feature you could imagine.
Upholstering the factory foam in your Sprinter van is a transformative process that can greatly enhance both the aesthetics and functionality of your interior space. By choosing the right van upholstery fabric, carefully implementing the upholstering techniques, and exploring additional features such as van wall upholstery, paneling kits, and camper van interior trim, you can create a customized and comfortable environment that suits your personal style and needs. So, let your creativity flow and embark on a journey to make your Sprinter van truly your own. Happy upholstering!